6.12.2013

Biker Down…Two Words You Never Want To Hear

The Biker Down benefit I attended this past weekend at Gruene Harley-Davidson made me think about some of the dangers we face as riders.  Statistically, we’re 22 times more likely to be killed in a crash than someone in a cage[1].  While that number isn’t anything to dwell on it should cause us to pause and consider the choices we make while riding.
We all try to make good choices…but in retrospect some of them may not be the best from an overall safety standpoint.  Take riding in a sleeveless shirt for example.  In the heat of summer I frequently ride sans sleeves as do many I ride with.  It’s comfortable and hey, it looks cool (have you seen my biceps  J).  Problem is, if I ever go “Biker Down” it’ll most likely leave a mark. 

Ouch! I never really gave riding without sleeves much thought before seeing this video…now it’s something I’ll consider before I ride. Will I ride in just a sleeveless shirt again? Probably, but at least I’ll do it with a better understanding of the potential hazards.  For me, the bottom line is I need to  consider that what I wear when I ride could make the difference in becoming a statistic if involved in a “Biker Down” situation.

Now, I’m not proposing we all wear a suit of armor when we ride. I just think we need to make  informed choices. Personal protective gear is most definitely a choice and everyone has to make their own decisions when  it comes to balancing risk and comfort.  I can say without hesitation you'll never see me riding without a helmet in shorts and flip-flops.  

Living free and riding hard means the freedom to make our own choices and to live our lives to the fullest. Let's Live Free and Ride Hard...and pray that the ones we love never hear, "Biker Down".

Do you have an opinion on personal protective gear and the Live Free, Ride Hard philosophy? Let's hear it.




[1] Based on NHTSA 2011 Fatalities and Fatality Rates (http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/Trends/TrendsGeneral.aspx)

No comments:

Post a Comment