6.24.2013

Ride Report...Back In Time

(Continued from Twisted Sisters or Curvy Cousins…)

After having a wonderful Father’s Day meal at the Bonsai Japanese Restaurant in San Angelo and helping my three-year-old granddaughter learn how to use cheater chopsticks, I packed up the bike and helped my wife pack her car. With temps in the mid-to-upper 90’s I knew it would be a warm ride so I used a little secret I learned during my Iron Butt ride in May. I soaked the top half of my shirt in cold water and opened all the vents on my textile jacket to generate some nice evaporative cooling. We pulled out of my daughter’s driveway at 3:15 pm.


We made a quick gas stop about 20 minutes out at Alsup’s on US HWY 87. The sun was shining and the sky was dotted with clouds. It was an absolutely beautiful day to be riding a motorcycle. I didn’t waste much time before pulling the camera out of my jacket to take some photographs…views from the saddle if you will. I have to snap quite a few photos to ensure I get something usable because it’s difficult to frame a photograph while riding at 70 mph and holding a camera upside-down in your left hand (especially when you’re right-handed). I’m sure it looks crazy, but that’s what I have to do to capture the moment.

Riding through this part of Texas is like being in a time machine. In the late 1700’s and early 1800’s before the establishment of cities like San Angelo, Eden, Menard, and Mason, this area was well within the southeastern boundary of Comancheria…home of the Comanche Indians. The Comanche’s were known for their superior horsemanship skills and fierce warrior spirit. Given the landscape and the area’s history, you could almost feel their presence. If you looked really hard, you could see them sitting silently on their horses waiting to attack from the top of one of the many bluffs found throughout the area.

As we turned south on US HWY 83 in Eden, TX I thought to myself, “Damn this is fun!” You just don’t feel the same connection to your surroundings when you’re in a cage. I enjoyed cutting through the air on my “iron” horse and feeling that same sense of freedom that the Comanche warriors must have felt when they first rode into the area on horseback. This is what motorcycling and the open road are all about. But wait, the Comanche Indians never experienced traffic jams.

The speed limit on most of US HWY 83 is 70 mph so you can make your way from point A to point B much faster than riding a spirited Comanche pony. Unless of course you are stuck behind your great-grandfather out for a Sunday drive doing 48 mph. It’s frustrating being stuck in a traffic line on a hilly two-lane road in the middle of literally nowhere. I don’t know how long I waited before I could safely pass, but it seemed like an eternity. As I blew past gramps doing 90 mph, I gave him the international salute of friendship. Okay, I didn’t really give gramps the finger (I’m not that kind of biker) but I might have shot his tire if I’d had a bow and arrow J. I waited another million years for my wife to safely pass before resuming the speed limit. Cruising at 70+ mph is nice.

I waved bye to my wife as I made my way onto TX HWY 29 just south of Menard, TX. She stayed on US HWY 83 making a beeline for Interstate 10 and a “faster” route home. I guess she doesn’t appreciate small towns, history, or back roads as much as I do  J.

Alone and unafraid (well maybe a little afraid) I continued my adventure down TX HWY 29 expecting to see a band of Comanche warriors around every turn. I felt a little safer as I neared Fort Mason in Mason, TX. Established in the mid-1800s as a Calvary outpost on the edge of the frontier, Fort Mason helped protect area settlers from the Indians. It served its purpose well and the area flourished as settlers begin to feel comfortable moving farther and farther from the post. My ride from Menard to Mason went quickly with lots of scenery and nice smooth blacktop.

As I turned onto US HWY 87 in Mason, I saw it…Dairy Queen. I could hear it calling my name. I stopped and ordered a Heath Blizzard (my second favorite DQ treat). They say small towns are generally more laid back than their big city counterparts are. That’s definitely true at the Mason DQ. Based on my wait time, I
figure they had to milk a cow and make the ice cream from scratch. I will say though, the Blizzard was fantastic. Before getting back in the saddle for the next leg of the trip I re-soaked my shirt. I knew in the hot dry Texas air it wouldn’t stay wet long but it would sure make part of the ride a lot cooler…and it did.

US HWY 87 between Mason and Fredericksburg, TX is a nice stretch of road with a few gentle curves and some rolling hills. I made good time and was in Fredericksburg before I knew it. They must roll-up the sidewalks early on Sunday because the normally bustling main street was a ghost town at 6:30 pm. I stopped for gas just south of town on US HWY 290 before making my turn onto Ranch Road 1376 for the short ride to Luckenbach, TX. I was planning to stop in for a cold libation and take a few photographs but I suppose fate had something else in mind. It turns out Shooter Jennings was performing a concert and the place was packed. The road into Luckenbach was blocked and the gentleman watching the entrance told me there would be a $20 cover to enter. Since I didn’t intend to stay for the entire show and I didn’t want to be riding around after dark with hundreds of intoxicated country fans on the deer infested back roads of Texas…I decided to turn around and head for home.


Although I was disappointed, I made the best of it. Farm-to-Market 1888 and 1623 were outstanding roads. I was very impressed with the short stretch of FM 1623 as it followed the winding Blanco River into Blanco, TX. Absolutely beautiful. Once in Blanco, I headed south on US HWY 281 with the intention of heading straight home. Again, fate had other plans. Somewhere along the way, I decided to stop at the Shade Tree Saloon for something to eat. It wasn’t exactly crowded but I waited forever for a burger…guess they had to slaughter the cow. The only consolation was the burger was delicious and I watched part of the Spurs game on TV. After filling my belly, I was back on the bike and ready to get home as it was quickly getting dark.

I don’t mind riding at night but my route would take me through an area known for its abundant deer population. Fortunately, I didn’t see many deer and the ones I did see weren’t too close to the road. I pulled into my driveway at 8:50 pm just as the last bit of light evaporated into the night. It had been a great ride.

Till next time…Live Free and Ride Hard!






More Views From The Saddle...To San Antonio








You can check-out my route as well as see the photos I captured with BubblerGPS Pro by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment