6.28.2013

Never Ride Faster Than Your Angel Can Fly

One of the first patches I bought for my Harley Owners Group vest said, “Never Ride Faster Than Your Angel Can Fly”.  I don’t know what it was about that patch, but it spoke to me.  Mostly because it reminded me of my mother and the thought that she would always be riding with me…she is my guardian angel.
On several occasions while riding the Interstate I’ve said to her, “Mom, fly faster” as I laid on the throttle hard in an effort to eat up the miles.  The adrenaline rush and complete sense of freedom felt when blasting down the highway is almost indescribable.   It’s definitely a thrill…but it can be scary too.  Especially when something you don’t anticipate causes your sphincter to pucker-up tighter than a baby eating sour candy.  Anyone who’s ridden awhile knows what I mean because all riders experience a high “pucker factor” moment, at least once.
While my mom can fly really fast, she shouldn’t have to.  I think that’s the real meaning behind the patch.  Speed can be dangerous.  As bikers, we inherently know this is true but many times we just don’t take the time to think about it.  This video from Australia made me pause for a moment and think about speed and just how important it can be.




We should all pause from time-to-time to think about our riding habits and how they not only affect our safety but the safety of those around us. The great thing about motorcycling is what we ride, where we ride, when we ride, and how we ride is a personal choice.

So let’s make educated choices…and Live Free and Ride Hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment