5.25.2013

Do You Hear What I Hear...Rider Communication

About a year ago I purchased a pair of the Sena SMH5 Bluetooth Headsets from Spoiled Biker.  Several people have asked how I like them...so I thought I'd do a little review and let you know just what I think.

Why did I chose the Sena SMH5? I wanted a relatively inexpensive way to communicate with my wife when she rides with me, I wanted to be able to listen to music, and I wanted to be able to use my phone while riding. After doing quite a bit of research, I decided to go with the Sena SMH5. From a cost stand-point it is one of, if not the least, expensive Bluetooth headset on the market (for under $200 you get  two headsets...you might pay almost that for one of anther brand). It's gotten good reviews from a lot of riders and Sena has a decent reputation for producing good quality products. It may not have all the bells and whistles some of the other headsets have but it's feature set was more than enough for me. Here's what the Sena SMH5 offers (from the Sena website):
  • Bluetooth 3.0 
  • Bluetooth intercom up to 430 yards in the open
  • Multi-pair Bluetooth intercom 
  • Voice prompts 
  • Bluetooth stereo headset by A2DP 
  • Bluetooth music playback control by AVRCP: Play, pause, track forward and track back 
  • Easy operation by versatile Jog Dial (Patent pending)
  • Sufficient sound level with integrated audio booster 
  • Bluetooth handsfree for Bluetooth mobile phones 
  • Bluetooth headset or stereo headset for Bluetooth GPS navigations 
  • Water resistant for use in inclement weather 
  • Crystal clear and natural sound quality 
  • Up to 8 hours talk time, 7 days stand-by time 
  • Can be used while charging on road trips 
  • Individual volume control for each audio source 
  • Firmware upgradeable
After having used them for a year and upgrading the firmware twice, I can say Sena pretty much delivers as promised.  I will say, I've never fully figured out how to use the voice prompts or the playback controls. That said, I have been very satisfied with the intercom function, music playback, and the ability to take and make phone calls when needed. The Sena SMH5 provides A LOT of bang for the buck.

You might be asking about the sound and sound quality.  Personally, I think it's pretty decent.  The sound isn't as good as you will get with a set of earbuds plugged into your iPod but it's not bad.  You won't have any trouble hearing the music or a conversation...even at freeway speeds.  I've had phone conversations with my dad doing 70 MPH and he didn't even know I was on the bike.  I'm sure having a full face helmet doesn't hurt.

I made a few recordings by placing a microphone inside the helmet to give you an idea of the sound.  The recordings are representative of what you can expect but I think the sound is slightly better than what you'll hear in the demos...maybe because your ears are closer to the speakers (and the helmet isn't empty when you're wearing it)  ;-)  

The first two demos are of music and the third is from a telephone...I called my cell phone from the house and recorded it.


Installation on the helmet wasn't too difficult. You'll have a couple different mounting options. I ended up modifying the adhesive mount to fit my Harley-Davidson modular bluetooth ready helmet. I would definitely recommend the Sena SMH5 as you'll be hard pressed to find a better value. You can read more about the Sena SMH5 at www.senabluetooth.com.

Do you hear that? The road is calling...Live Free and Ride Hard!






No comments:

Post a Comment