5.19.2013

1000 Miles...18 Hours and 5 Mintues

On May 18th at 12:05 a.m. I completed my first Saddlesore 1000 riding in Hoagy's Heroes Lone Star Six Shooter.  Robert "Hoagy" Carmichael told me before I started that I'd either love it or hate it...and having completed it, I can say overall "I loved it!"

At the beginning of the ride I was a little intimidated because the other rider's bikes where better set-up for long distance riding.  There was an assortment of sport-touring bikes like the Yamaha FJR and larger Harley Ultras.  My Sportster seemed small and uncomfortable in comparison. I told myself, it's not the size of the bike that counts, it's the heart of the rider riding it...and I have a big heart. :-) In actuality, the Sportster isn't all that small with a 1200 cc engine and I have an aftermarket Corbin Dual Tour seat for added comfort.  I knew I could ride ride with the "big boys".

I can't say that I loved every minute of the ride because that would be a lie.  At around the 600 mile point in far West Texas with the temps running over 105 degrees, I really questioned why I had undertaken such an endeavor.  I can tell you, its hot wearing a full face (black) helmet, textile jacket, and leather chaps...even at 80 mph.  Given the temperature it was important to stay hydrated.   Fortunately, I packed quite a few bottles of Gatorade and had a water bladder in my tank bag that I could drink from while riding.  At one stop it was so hot, I soaked my shirt with water to get the Texas swamp cooler effect.  It's amazing how well evaporative cooling works. Try it sometime.

For the most part the ride was uneventful. Just mile after mile of pavement...but the scenery was fantastic.  Unfortunately, I didn't take many photos because I was so focused on making good time and I wasn't overly comfortable with trying to operate my camera with one hand.  I didn't even take the camera out until Big Spring.  I missed some get shots near Fort Stockton...there were places where I could just picture Indians sitting on their horses lined-up along the ridges.  I was overcome with  a sense of adventure, history, and freedom as I rode across Texas.

It would be easy to feel alone in the vast openness of West Texas, but I wasn't alone.  I met a 64 year old Marine Veteran named Herb the night before the ride and we rode together for over 800 miles.  Herb retired from the Marine Corps in 1996 after 30 years of service.  He saw combat in Vietnam,  Mogadishu (just before the Black Hawk down time frame), and Dessert Storm. I'm sure he had some amazing stories.  I  was sad when he decided to end his Iron Butt ride 120 miles from the finish due to some bladder/kidney issues but I know he must have been hurting pretty bad.  Herb flashed his lights and waved goodbye as he headed home to Aledo, Texas (about 15 minutes from Fort Worth).  I rode the last 120 miles alone.

I got my official ending gas receipt at 12:05 a.m and checked-in.  I was greeted by Hoagy and several other riders who had participated in longer rides (2000 miles in 36 hours).  I felt good and surprisingly wasn't too tired. Overall, it was a great experience and I'm confident one day, I'll do another Iron Butt Long Distance ride.  After reflecting for a day, I've come to the conclusion that Long Distance riding is a lot like the rest of life.  You may get tired, down, and feel like you can't go any further but then you dig deep, look for the silver lining and press ahead...one mile at at time until you are finished.  Live Free and Ride Hard!!

Motorcycle Travel Photo

Clear skies and Open Road


West Texas


Herb Riding Point


Mile Eater


Herb and his FJR


Rock-n-Roll


Movin On


Does my Saddle look Sore to You?


The Litle Engine That Could


With Hoagy at the Finish






4 comments:

  1. Curt - great story! My group of 4 were behind you by 90 minutes. A flat by 1 of us in Big Spring cost us 4 hours at the local Harley dealer. It was all our first SS1000 too - and it was a blast! Three of us are in N. Austin area. If you want to run another, let me know. Bob Hall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, glad you guys made it okay. Sorry to hear about the flat tire...that had to suck. I've been thinking about my next Iron Butt ride. I definitely want to do another one sometime. I've been looking into the Tour of Honor and possibly doing it as a Bun Burner 1500 miles in 36 hour ride. We'll see.. ~Curt

      Delete
  2. Great write up. I had the same fears when I did my first Hoagy's Heros run a few years ago. I did the 2K SSG on the little red 600 in TX and it was crazy hot....good pointers for new riders there about hydration. How to see you at another ride and help Hoagy raise some money for the kids. Jeff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeff, thanks! Hopefully, Hoagy will come back to Texas next year. ~Curt

      Delete