10.15.2014

Fall Is In the Air - A Great Texas Ride Remembered

As we start seeing cooler temperatures and the leaves begin to fall, I'm reminded of a great ride to the Lost Maples State Natural Area (SNA).  I wrote a guest post for Motorcycle House detailing the ride last November.  You can check-out my original ride report on their blog. Here's the link - Changing Seasons A Ride To the Lost Maples State Natural Area.

Big Tooth Maple in Lost Maples SNA
If you live in or around the Texas Hill Country, I'd highly recommend visiting the Lost Maples SNA this Fall.  It's one of the few places in South/Central Texas where you can actually see a magnificent show of Fall colors.  The Big Tooth Maples in the SNA are absolutely stunning and if you plan your trip right, you'll have a chance to ride some of the best motorcycle roads in Texas.  The famed Twisted Sisters are just a short ride away.

Before saddling-up and pointing your bike towards Lost Maples, check-out their Fall Foliage Report to get an idea of the of how the color changes are progressing. You can use the report to help time your visit to experience the peak color change (generally occurring sometime in late October or November depending on the weather).

Fall is probably the best time of year to ride in Texas and I know you'll enjoy riding to Lost Maples SNA.  You'll be on some great riding roads, with lots of interesting places to see along the way.  Here are a few of my favorites:


  • Ever tried fresh apple ice cream? No? You don't know what you're missing.  Visit the Apple Store in Medina, TX.
  • Interested in motorcycle history? Stop by the Lone Star Motorcycle Museum in Vanderpool, TX.  The museum is only a couple of miles from Lost Maples.
  • Need an interesting place to take a break and fill your belly?  Try the Frio Canyon Motorcycle Stop in Leakey, TX.  You can get some great Twisted Sister merchandise to commemorate your ride too...and don't forget to check-out the view from the patio.

I hope my walk down memory lane gives you some great ideas for a Fall ride.  No matter where you ride, always remember to Live Free, Ride Hard, and Be Happy!



Photos from my Ride to Lost Maples SNA in November 2013



On Our Way to Lost Maples




Walking Down the Riverbed in Lost Maples

Painting the Colors of Fall in Texas




Now There's Some Color



A Peek of Orange and Red



 

7 comments:

  1. I just love this time of year. The colors, smells and the weather is my favorite. Love your tour and how pretty it is there through your photos. When I think of Texas I always think of hot. This looks perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy,

      Thanks. This time of year is wonderful and riding is more enjoyable than ever. Summers can be almost unbearably hot but the great thing about Texas (at least San Antonio) is the rest of the year is pretty pleasant.

      I'm hoping I get a chance to visit Lost Maples again this year...if I do I'll take more photos. :-)

      Cheers,
      Curt

      Delete
  2. I really like the red and orange of the leaves in the pics. Our trees are just now starting to turn. We are waiting for all the maples to show us their colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brandy,

      I bet you guys get some wonderful color. That's the thing I miss most about living in South/Central Texas, we don't see many Fall colors. Lost Maples SNA is probably the best place in the area to actually see a color show.

      Make sure you share some photos of all the great fall colors in Oregon...I'm looking forward to seeing them!

      Cheers,
      Curt

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photos! One day I hope to get to Texas and ride these roads. Twisted Sisters sounds like a blast!
    I love the fall colors, just not the temps where the leaves actually change. Ha ha!
    Smooches,

    Sash ~ The Rude Biker Chick
    See Sash Videos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Texas Ride is the most dangerous ride of the world. when a texas ride the driver must be use helmet for the protect his life. Visit here. for new helmet of your protected life. so every driver should be use helmet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's not the Bahamas, but rather Texas State Parks can offer shockingly agreeable getaways at an awesome cost. The Hill Country offers a pack of delightful state parks inside of a two hour drive. Whether it's a day of picnicking and angling or an undeniable outdoors trip, there are over twelve state parks in the Hill Country district alone.

    ReplyDelete