4.24.2014

Scratching My Long Distance Itch

It’s been six months since my last Iron Butt Association (IBA) long distance ride and I’m getting a little anxious for another challenge.  After completing the BunBurner 1500 in under 36 hours in October 2013, I’ve set my sights on the Saddlesore 2000 (2000-miles in under 48 hours).  I’ve mapped out an all Interstate route between San Antonio and my Dad’s house in Louisville, KY for a round-trip total of 2172 miles.  I should be able to make the 1086-mile one-way trip, get 7 to 8 hours of sleep, and return to San Antonio all in about 47 hours.

I originally wanted to do this in March but the weather in both Texas and Kentucky was cooler and wetter than normal, so I put it off.  Now I’m looking at early May and hoping the weather will cooperate.  Sure, I could’ve ridden in the cold and rain but it’s not as fun.  Some might question my judgment on calling this kind of ride fun, but there’s something very exhilarating and challenging about it.  Try sitting in a saddle for hours on end.  It isn’t as easy as it sounds, but it’s not impossible either. You just have to want it.  Hell, It’s an adventure!

San Antonio to Louisville - 1086 miles
I considered a couple of factors to increase my chances for a successful ride.  First, the number of miles I can reasonably travel on a tank of gas.  With a 4.5-gallon tank, I can go about 170 miles at highway speeds without too much fear of running out of gas.   Based on this, I’ve planned gas stops about every 165 miles.  The downside to this relatively short gas interval is I’ll have to make quite a few stops and stops eat-up time, which is a precious commodity on any Iron Butt ride.  I hope to keep most stops to no more than 12 minutes to minimize the time I’m off the bike. 

Another factor I looked at is start time.   I’d like to avoid as much traffic as possible while riding through Austin, Dallas, Little Rock, Memphis, and Nashville and I’d like to complete the ride in time to get a few hours sleep before going to work. I considered taking a Friday off and getting an early start but after looking at several scenarios, it became evident that no matter when I left I was likely to hit traffic in at least one of the cities I’d be riding through.  In order to avoid traffic and get home in time to get some sleep before work, I’ve decided to start the ride around 1:00 a.m. on a Saturday morning.  If I maintain a 63 mph moving average, I should avoid traffic jams and be finished by midnight Sunday.  I’m hoping since the entire route is on the super slab I won’t have issues maintaining that moving average.

My SaddleSore 2000 Ride Plan

My wife thinks I’m crazy as do some of my friends but to me it seems perfectly normal.   It may be a little extreme but that’s what makes it interesting.  I certainly won’t be the first person to try a ride like this and I won’t be the last.  There’ve been plenty of riders who’ve completed a SaddleSore 2000…and IBA rides even more difficult and extreme.  Life is meant to be lived and sometimes we have to step out of our comfort zones to know what it truly means to be alive.  We should never let fear and complacency define us.  We should strive to Live Free, Ride Hard, and Be Happy every day!

Wish me luck!

***************
Want to know more about the Iron Butt Association (IBA)?
Running the super slab? Here’s a nice tool for planning your gas stops.
Get some tips from a seasoned long distance rider…Tim Masterson

12 comments:

  1. I think you're smart doing this in the springtime. The weather (except for maybe a few showers) should be ideal for the ride. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curt,
    First off, LUCK!!

    Secondly, the best advice I can give you is to learn to stretch while riding. Since I cope with having Fibromyalgia, my greatest struggle on the ride is sore muscles and downright serious pain when I sit too long. This is not just when I ride, so stretching is really important. Since you have only 12 minute stops, I'm sure you'll have less than 5 minutes of stretch time.
    Here are my three favorite stretches:
    1. Lean forward on the tank, knees as close to your chest as you can get, arch your back, and release your hips. Breathe deep and really release the tension in your hips when you do this. Repeat 5 times in a row.
    2. If you can reach, put one (or both) feet on your back pegs and arch your back. This stretches the quads. Repeat 5 times.
    3. Clench your butt cheeks. Really tighten them up and hold for as long as you can. Breathe through the clench. Do not hold your breath. Repeat 5 times. (You can do the same for your abs, which releases the tension in your lower back.) Repeat this clench every 50 miles on the 50 mile mark.
    You can thank me when you return. I'm dying to hear the results!!
    Smooches,
    Sash
    http://www.sashmouth.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, thanks for the stretches! I know they'll help...especially for my lower back. ~Curt

      Delete
  3. YOU DA MAN! Looking forward to read about your adventure. Take care my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pablo. I'm starting to get excited. Watching the weather but am planning on a 1:00 a.m. Saturday, 3 May departure. I'll definitely post about it when I;m done. ~Curt

      Delete
  4. Good luck! I absolutely agree with you, I completed a BB ride and it was alot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eric, thanks. There's something about these rides that makes you want to come back for more. Congrats on your BunBurner. ~Curt

      Delete
  5. Kudos to you for giving this a go. I sincerely hope you do it in time, and the time goes by trouble free.

    Most I've done in 1 day is 473 miles on the Gladius. I don't think I could do much more on that bike and still walk.

    Will be fun to read your ride report after. Good luck and have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trobairitz, thanks for the well wishes. Barring any unforeseen problems, I should be able to complete the ride in time. A 473 mile day is nothing to sneeze at...you should be proud of yourself. I'll do a write-up once I'm back and have recuperated. :-) ~Curt

      Delete
  6. I read a long time ago about a guy that did a Saddlesore 1000 all within Los Angeles County. He picked out a route that went something like a 70 mile loop along freeways and rode it 15 times within 24 hours. He didn't actually submit paperwork, just did it because he had that itch to burn fuel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes you just want to do some serious miles in a short amount of time. I don't think I'd ever do a loop ride like that...it would get boring. But as they say, "Different strokes for different folks". :-) Sounds like you guys have been having a blast on your mini-Road Pickle. Ride safe! ~Curt

      Delete