8.12.2013

Long Distance Virgin - Part 1

It's been almost a year since I lost my virginity...my long distance riding virginity, that is.  In October of 2012 I embarked on a solo journey to visit my Dad and ride the Natchez Trace Parkway.  I wrote a trip report but never published it anywhere, until now.  Here's part 1 of my adventure...

Prologue

The idea of riding my Harley-Davidson Sportster cross country had always intrigued me, but having never ridden more than 275 miles in a day I was nervous about attempting it.  Fortunately, the sheer excitement and personal challenge of a possible long distance ride outweighed my nervousness. I knew one day I would be on the open road.

My Dad’s 70th birthday presented the perfect opportunity. I started crafting a detailed ride plan a month in advance.  My plan included turn-by-turn routing, the specific location of gas and rest stops as well as estimated departure and arrival times for each stop. What started out as a simple trip to celebrate my Dad’s birthday in Louisville, Kentucky turned into a full blown 8 state motorcycle adventure. 

Thursday, 5 October 2012

I left San Antonio, Texas at 5:30 in the morning and travelled to Little Rock, Arkansas where I stayed the night at Little Rock Air Force Base. As I approached Little Rock on I-30 it threatened rain but I managed to stay dry until I reached the base. It started sprinkling just as I was passing through the Base’s main gate. Fortunately, I didn't get too wet and was able to unload the bike before it really started to pour.  I rode almost 600 miles in just under 9 hours…making it my longest ride ever.  I had been apprehensive about the distance but felt really good at the end of the day so I knew I could make it to my Dad’s in Louisville without a problem.

Friday, 6 October 2012

I woke up to unseasonably cool weather...it was 41 degrees in Little Rock and the forecast called for no more than 55 degree temperatures all the way to Kentucky.  I was able to put on enough layers to stay warm so I headed northeast to avoid the interstate. I travelled several US Highways and Sate Roads through Arkansas, Missouri, and Tennessee. I picked-up the Interstate in far southwestern Kentucky and made it to my Dad's house in Louisville by 6:20 in the evening.   

Although it was overcast most of the day, it was a beautiful ride.  I chuckled to myself when I rode through Goobertown, Arkansas (just northeast of Jonesboro) wondering why anyone would name a city Goobertown. I raced a train only to be caught by it at a stoplight...I think it must have been the longest train I've ever seen because I was stopped for what seemed like an eternity.  I was amazed at the majesty of the Mississippi River and the bridge that crossed it as I entered Tennessee. And I was equally impressed by the changing colors of the leaves along the Western Kentucky Parkway. The 500 mile ride from Little Rock to Louisville went smoothly.

With an 1100 mile, two day, 5 state motorcycle ride under my belt I was no longer a long distance virgin.


Saturday-Wednesday, 7-10 October 2012

I spent 5 nights with my Dad and helped him build and set forms for a garage addition. We celebrated his birthday at a Mexican restaurant by drinking a couple margaritas and watching several performers sing old country music songs.  He was surprised when two women pulled him up front and sang happy birthday to him. We had fun! I would have liked to have spent more time with my Dad but my return trip was ahead of me and I was looking forward to being back on the bike. 


Thursday, 11 October 2012

I pulled-out of Dad's driveway at about 11:10 and rode to the Hebron Cemetery to visit my Mom.  She died almost 5 years ago after a long battle with lung cancer and COPD.  I was very close to my Mom and have always felt that she’s my guardian angel.  After telling her about my trip and saying goodbye I headed for the Natchez Trace Parkway.  The Trace is a 440 mile long National Parkway that runs from just south of Nashville, Tennessee to Natchez, Mississippi.  I wasn't sure what to expect when I got there but everything I’d read indicated it would be a very scenic ride with lots of historical significance.  The 180 mile ride from Louisville to Nashville went quickly. As I made my way down I-65, I made a quick stop at the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, Kentucky for a photo opportunity and then in Franklin, Kentucky for gas.  Next stop the Natchez Trace Parkway.

After entering the Parkway at its northern terminus, I immediately knew I wasn't going to be disappointed. The first 15-20 miles were absolutely amazing!  Curve after gentle-sweeping-curve on the most tree lined patch of silky smooth asphalt I have ever ridden on.  I’m convinced the Trace was built for motorcycle travel. Mind you, not all riders will appreciate it because the top speed limit is only 50 mph (40 mph in some sections)...but I thought I was in heaven.


I rode about 70 miles on the Trace before reaching my destination for the night.  I arrived at the KOA campground near Hohenwald, Tennessee at about 5:00 just as it was starting to rain. After grabbing a burger at the campground's Trading Post I checked-in, rode to my cabin, and settled in for the night. It wasn't the Ritz-Carlton but it had electricity, a bed, and a bathroom.  What more could a guy ask for? Heat would have been nice...but I made do. I turned the 4 burners on the stove to “Med-Hi” for about two hours before turning out the lights. Needless to say it was warm and toasty under the covers with my sleeping bag opened up on top for extra warmth.  I slept well.

To be Continued...See 19 August 2013 Post...

No comments:

Post a Comment