7.29.2013

Group or Solo Rider…Which Are You?

When it comes time to choose between a group and solo ride, have you ever felt like Harvey Dent’s alter ego, Two-Face, in the movie Dark Knight? I have. At times I’ve felt torn between the solitude and reflection afforded by riding solo, and the sense of camaraderie and belonging experienced when riding in a group. Both types of riding can be fun and challenging.

Group rides offer the opportunity to share the riding experience with like-minded individuals, to get to know other riders and their riding styles. There’s nothing quite like the feeling of moving down the highway in a properly spaced staggered formation. It’s like watching a flock of birds as they make their way across the sky. It is poetry. I remember my first group ride. I was extremely self-conscious about my position...was I too close or too far from the bikes in front of me. I rode with a death grip on the handlebars fearing that it would be just my luck to rear end someone. I was nervous and excited at the same time. When the ride was over, I felt as though I was part of something bigger than myself. I felt a sense of accomplishment.

For riders who are apprehensive about group riding, don’t be. You still ride your own ride. You don’t have to be overly concerned about spacing, just pay attention and don’t run into the rider in front of you. The more you ride with a group, the more comfortable you will become. One nice thing about group riding is you never have to worry about getting lost, unless of course, you’re leading the ride. And remember, there is safety in numbers. Cagers will see a group of motorcycles much sooner than they will see a single bike. If you’ve never ridden in a group, make a point to do at least one group ride. You’ll be glad you did.

While group rides provide an opportunity to share the riding experience, solo rides give us the opportunity to reflect on the deeper meaning of life and become more in-tune with ourselves. Now, I have to admit my first solo ride didn’t bring about any big revelation. I was more concerned with just getting my bike home from the dealership in one piece. Forty-five miles per hour seemed really fast and going much above that was just plain scary. What a difference time and experience make.

My first long solo ride from San Antonio, TX to Louisville, KY and the return trip via the Natchez Trace Parkway will forever be etched in my memory. I rode over 2,500 miles on that trip in both the cold and in the rain. I learned that even when I’m uncomfortable, I still love to ride. More importantly, I realized that to really live we can’t be afraid to step out of our comfort zone because that’s how we grow. Solo riding is good for the soul.

Which are you, a group or solo rider? The great thing is you don’t have to choose, you can be both. In fact, I believe that to be a well-rounded rider, you should make a point to mix it up. So, when the time comes for you to choose between a group and solo ride, just do like Two-Face. Take a coin from your pocket and toss it into the air. Heads is group; tails is solo…either way you win!

Leave me a comment and let me know what you thing about group and solo riding. Until next time, Live Free and Ride Hard.

9 comments:

  1. I prefer solo or very small groups.
    I went to Alaska alone and loved it. I did ride a few days with other people I found along the way but that is also part of the fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy the solitude of a long solo ride. I can only imagine what it must have been like riding to Alaska. I'll definitely have to put that ride on my bucket list. ~Curt

      Delete
  2. I used to ride with clubs and other groups, and there's certainly fun in it, but like George, I now prefer just a few other riders, or just Sash and I. I can still do a lot of deep thinking even in these moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I hope you guys will ride with me whenever you make you're way through Texas. It'll be fun sharing some of the Hill Country riding experience with you. ~Curt

      Delete
    2. Well, I haven't ridden in Texas, have been there by car and landed by plane, hopefully a bike ride is in the cards in the near future.

      Delete
    3. George, let me know when you're coming through San Antonio...It would be an honor to ride with you. ~Curt

      Delete
  3. Why would I worry about getting lost? It just means more riding for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never really done much riding alone. I have taken a few short jaunts, one for an overnighter to meet a girlfriend, but not much alone time really. It seems I always ride with Highway, but I guess that's kind of like riding alone. We work so well together that I don't even think about it. I just follow. . .

    I like group rides very much, but I'm a very social person. Whenever a group breaks apart for the day, everyone heads their separate ways, I'm sad. I hate to see parties end, rides end, social events end. Just love being with people.

    Thanks for making me think about it because I realize I really should do some riding alone. I'll bet Highway misses it, come to think of it. He's done tens of thousands of miles alone. He's probably tired of having me on his ass.

    Smooches,
    Sash
    www.SashMouth.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I drove from Alaska when I moved to from Fairbanks to Columbus (Fort Benning), GA. In a car with my wife. I can imagine how beautiful it would be on a bike.

    ReplyDelete