9.30.2014

Just a Nice Sunday Ride to The Airport Diner

On Sunday, I rode to the Airport Diner in Fredericksburg, Texas with a few Gruene HOG chapter members. We didn’t start out thinking we’d be going to the Diner but it’s where we ended up. Our original destination was the Alamo Springs Café for what is claimed to be one of the best burgers in Texas.  I say claimed because when we got there it was closed.  Apparently, the owners were leaving for vacation on Monday and had been trying to conserve meat…they ran out on Saturday.  This was my second foiled attempt to try their burgers.  On my first visit, they were closed because of a blown transformer and no electricity.
The great thing about riding is many times the destination is secondary to the ride itself.  It took about an hour and a half to ride the 70 miles from Gruene Harley-Davidson to the Alamo Springs Café.  Clear skies and cooler temperatures (mid-80s) made for a great Fall ride in the Texas Hill Country.  FM473 and Old #9 Highway Road were particularly fun with some nice curves and beautiful views. 

There were a lot of motorcyclists out taking advantage of the weather.  I saw an equal number of sport bikes and cruisers sharing the road.  Some shared better than others.  Sadly, stereotypes were likely reinforced based on our encounter with a couple riding sport bikes.  While cruising along on Old #9 Highway at or slightly above the posted speed limit, two sport bikes blew past our Sweep and cut into our formation right behind our Lead, then laid back on the throttle and blew past him on a tight curve. 

Not more than three minutes later we pulled into the parking lot at the Alamo Café.  Guess  who was there? The sport bike riders that had just past us.  Our Sweep wasted no time telling them what he thought about their riding and called them a few choice names.  I’m sure they walked away thinking Harley riders are assholes…while several in our group walked away thinking sport bike riders are reckless speed freaks.  Talk about awkward.

After everyone regained their composure, we decided to try the Airport Diner and off we rode.  Old #9 Highway was closed a mile or so north of the Alamo Café but the detour was clearly marked so we had no
The Airport Diner...Friendly Staff, Great Food
trouble making our way to US 290 and into Fredericksburg.  We cut across Friendship Lane to SH16 and rode southwest for a half-mile before turning towards the Gillespie County Airport.   As we pulled into the parking lot, I was impressed.  On the right was the Hanger Hotel and on the left another hanger that housed the Conference Center and Diner.  It was like walking back in time.  The Hanger Hotel resembled an old World War II hanger complete with large billboard graced by pretty pin-up girl worthy of being nose art on any WWII bomber.  The inside of the Diner was just as period authentic as the hotel with airplane art adorning the walls and models of WWII fighter aircraft hanging from the ceiling.

We sat down and were quickly waited on.  The menu was chock full of items with names like Bomber Burger, P-40 Warhawk,  Officer’s Club, and Flying Tiger.  I ordered the Officer’s  Club and boy was it tasty.  Everyone in our group was happy with their food, except one…and he ordered the Huevos Rancheros.  It doesn’t get much better than a great ride followed by great food.  I’ll definitely go back again.

Just Outside the Hanger Hotel
After a leisurely lunch punctuated by great food and service, I split from the group to head home by the most expeditious route available.  I picked-up US 87 and made a beeline for the super slab.  It’s amazing how fast you can get somewhere when you’re going 80 miles an hour.  I made it home in just over an hour and a half and that included a gas stop and a stop at Wal-Mart to pick-up some medicine for my granddaughter.  I may be strange, but I enjoy riding the Interstate almost as much as I like riding the back roads.  What a great day!

Where did you ride last weekend?  Wherever it was I hope you remembered to:  Live Free. Ride Hard. Be Happy.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a perfect day for a ride. Good food and great weather.

    It is unfortunate about the dust up with the sport bike riders. That seems to happen here a lot. The Harley riders in uniform don't seem to get along with the sport bike riders in their power ranger outfits. I joke because we have friends in both camps. We seem to fit in the middle somewhere and just get along with everyone.

    I don't get the speed though when everyone is heading to the same place. Race you to the next red light......facepalm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trobairitz,

      I know what you mean. It was just awkward. I like to think I get along with everyone. I wish there were more people who tried to view motorcycling from more than just one perspective. We can all share the road and have fun.

      It was funny we ended-up in the same place...made me wonder why they seemed in such a hurry. :-)

      Delete
  2. Curt, sounds perfect! It's funny about the sport/Harley rider quarrel. Like Trobairitz, Steve and I fit somewhere in the middle of those two camps. I'm glad I do, actually. This whole negative idea from some folks is just too much!
    Hope your granddaughter is doing well!
    Sash

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think being in the middle is a good thing...to see and relate well to everyone. As riders we should respect one another and try to understand while we may not ride for the same reasons we all ride.

      Thanks for asking about my granddaughter. I felt bad for her because she was so congested it was hard for her to get any real rest between her runny nose and coughing. Fortunately she's starting to get better now. :-)

      Delete