8.29.2014

I'll Always Be Able to Ride, Right?

Recently friend and fellow moto-blogger Tina Walker asked herself the the question, “What if I couldn’t ride a motorcycle anymore?”  I asked myself that question  and then quickly dismissed it thinking, “I’ll always be able to ride.”   That thought may have been a little short sighted on my part because I found out earlier this week that I have moderate carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands.
 
You Can't Ride Without Them!
I’ve known for a long time that something wasn’t quite right because my fingers would routinely go numb and my hands would ache. Over the past few months, the numbness and pain have become more frequent and intense.  So much so, that I sometimes wake-up in the middle of the night feeling like my hands and forearms are on fire.  After more than a few restless nights, I decided it was time to see a doctor.   After listening to my “symptoms” and performing a quick exam, the doc said I most likely had carpal tunnel syndrome and then referred me to a neurologist for a nerve conduction study.

If you enjoyed putting a fully charged 9-volt battery on your tongue as a kid, you’d love a nerve conduction study.  I lay on the exam table for an hour as the neurologist placed sensors on both hands and forearms and used what looked like a mini stun gun to “stimulate” my nerves and muscles. It was a shocking experience, literally. It didn’t really hurt, but it was uncomfortable.  When the neurologist was finished, he told me my median nerve was damaged and that I would likely need carpal tunnel release surgery on both hands.  He referred me to an orthopedic surgeon to discuss treatment options.

I have an ortho appointment in two-weeks and to say the least I’m nervous about it.  It’s a little ironic given my last post was titled “Don’t Let Fear be a Factor forYou.”  At this point, my biggest fear is how surgery will affect my ability to ride.  I don’t know what the ortho folks will say but after doing a little research, I’ve learned it can take three months or longer to return to your normal activities after surgery.  Anything that requires heavy use of the hands is off-limits.  I think riding a motorcycle falls squarely in this category.
   
Being unable to ride for three months or more is a scary thought because it’s become such an important part of my life over the past few years.  I cannot adequately describe the sense of peace and freedom I feel when I’m on my bike.  It is truly indescribable. When I’m not riding, I’m obsessed with planning my next ride. Strangely enough, the prospect of not being able to ride makes me think of it even more.

I wish I had given Tina’s question more thought at the time, but even now, I don’t have an answer. The thought of not being able to ride makes me sad.  Over the next few months, I may have to face the realityof not being able to ride.  When and if that time comes, I’ll deal with it the best I can knowing it should only be temporary.  I hope my love of riding will serve as a motivator to get me back in the saddle as quickly as possible.

If you’ve dealt with carpal tunnel or had carpal tunnel release surgery, I’d really be interested in hearing about your experiences…good and bad.  You can leave a comment or send me an e-mail.  Your perspective is appreciated. Thanks! 

15 comments:

  1. Allow time to heal and you will ride again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wayne,

      Thanks. I'm just a little apprehensive on how long it may take before I can ride again...but I will ride again. Have you had the surgery? How long were you off the bike?

      ~Curt

      Delete
    2. No CT surgery but major surgery on my shoulders cause of a motorcycle accident. That was in 2010. Still have trouble but about 2 1/2 months after surgery. Back on my bike. Just don't push it. Schedule the surgery for the Winter. Although I don't know where you live. It gets cold and wet where I live.

      Delete
  2. Surgery can really screw things up, especially in a tight, small space as the wrist. Scar tissue always ensues after a surgery, and that will ultimately create problems down the road. I've never had CT surgery, but I used to work in the workers compensation field, and became familiar with hundreds of cases like this, and it's a process of several years of repeat surgeries, physical therapy, and acupuncture. I would recommend changing your work/life habits that created this nerve pain/numbness before letting an ortho cut you open.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with what Steve said. Don't let them cut you open; you'll more than likely regret it!

      Virtually everybody I've heard from who has had the carpal tunnel surgery said it didn't help much.
      My wife Kimberly A Edwards, a Licensed Therapeutic Massage Practitioner (dual licensed in Washington & California), has been able to relieve the symptoms of carpal tunnel and tendinitis (aka "tennis elbow") pain by addressing the root cause for several individuals without surgery or drugs.
      http://anewlifeoasis.com/bodywork/

      Delete
    2. Curt: I've worked on countless patients of CTS and had great results without surgery. I would venture to guess that you do "not" have nerve damage. It's more likely the nerve path is cut off by constriction of the sheath ligament [basically a strap that holds all the nerves, muscles, etc] from your arm to your hand. See this image:
      http://www.mps1disease.com/~/media/MPSI/Images/Content/mps_pt_symptom_carpal_tunnel_syndrome%201_use.jpg

      Delete
    3. Steve, Paul, & Kim,

      Thanks for the advice and information.

      Unfortunately I'm not sure I can change my work/life habits...I don't want to stop riding or woodworking and I like to eat so changing job fields probably isn't in the cards in the near future (maybe one day).

      I'll definitely weigh all the options before having any surgery, that's for sure. You've all helped me with some questions I'll be asking when I go to my ortho consult. Thanks, again!

      Curt

      Delete
    4. Curt: Just so you know; I go by Kimberly [exceptions to my road name!] only. ;-)

      On the subject: surgery should be the very last resort. You don't have to give up your job or hobbies because of this. All it would take is some minor/major adjustments to how you do these things to help you. Also, one major thing, it's number 1, self-care! Learning proper techniques of self-care would make a massive difference. We all do/don't do things we shouldn't/need to for taking care of ourselves. If you like I can email consult to help, or even google hangout or something. I'd rather see you in good health than to be cut up by a surgeon.

      Delete
    5. Kimberly,

      Sorry about that. Thanks for the offer. I won't be giving up my job or hobbies at least not any time soon. I'm going to ask the ortho folks lots of questions and also start doing some exercises to stretch. I've been trying to talk to lots of people who've had the surgery to get their impressions as well. I will be as informed as possible before letting anyone cut on me. Again , thanks! ~Curt

      Delete
  3. Curt,
    I have 30% loss of my median nerve in one hand, 50% loss in the other, and the radial nerve is damaged in both hands as well. I wake up EVERY morning in pain from the shoulders down. I feel you, really I do. I believe Kimberly may be right, as the more massage I get, the less pain I struggle with. My nerves are impinged, that is for certain. If I had the time for a weekly massage on my chest (make sure they massage just below the shoulders of your chest), I would probably eliminate most of my pain in my arms and hands.
    Riding is part of the problem. I don't stretch my arms backwards enough, so the chest muscles get too tight and they constrict.
    Thank you for the mention. I appreciate it.
    Don't give in to surgery until you can't lift those damn arms anymore. Until then, I would suggest strongly that you listen to your body, treat as holistically as possible, get massaged, buy some herbal remedies (I use salve I get at Sprouts and a cream Deep Blue from doTerra) and stretch much, much more.
    Surgery should be your last option. I ride in pain all the time. If I can do it, you can do it!!!!! Don't forget that. And I'm pulling for you Sweetie!! I really care about you.
    Hugs and Smooches!!
    Sash-The Rude Biker Chick
    See Sash Videos!
    https://www.facebook.com/BikerChickTips

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina,

      Wow, I knew you had FM but wasn't aware of the nerve damage in your hands. Sorry to hear that. I've never had a massage so I might just have to try it...sounds like it helps. I'm also going to check out some of the creams as well. Thanks so much for the advice and encouragement.

      ~Curt

      Delete
  4. My Mother has had the CT surgery in both hands as has her mother. My Mother didn't have as great of surgeon as my grandmother so she has had scar tissue issues and is now waiting for surgery for trigger finger of all things.

    I don't have any CT diagnosis myself but I do wake up with completely numb/asleep hands routinely during the night as well as get the numbness when riding my Gladius.

    Hope all goes well if you choose to have the surgery. I just wouldn't do both hands at once, would make going to the bathroom difficult. :-)

    One thing I would check is to see if surgery has less of a success rate if it is put off until the last possible moment. Sometimes healing is quicker if the symptoms aren't at their worst.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trobairitz,

      Thanks. I have lots of questions to ask when I go to my ortho appointment. I've talked with several folks who've had the surgery and were glad they did and have heard second hand accounts of people who wouldn't do it again if given the chance.

      Hope your mom's trigger finger surgery goes well. I've had trigger thumb in both hands and have had several cortisone shots in each. Fortunately, I haven't had any issues with in in about six years.

      Sounds like you'll need to see a doc about your numbness in the near future...I understand now they think some folks anatomy is more prone to have it. With both your mom and grandmother having had CT it wouldn't surprise me if you do as well. You'll know when it's time for you to see about it.

      Cheers,
      Curt

      Delete
  5. A good friend of mine just passed. For the last 5 years she was unable to ride. Sold her bikes. Laid in bed because of cancer and the chemo drugs that destroyed her ability to live. She constantly spoke of riding and how she was knocked down by the damn cancer in an instant. Her freedom of just moving from room to room taken away. One of her saddest days was selling her bike knowing she would never get back on. It was almost like her cancer was secondary to her riding. Although your surgery is far apart from her, stay positive and make sure you repair the right way and not get on too early before healing. In particular if you want to ride again. Mend well and smart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy,

      Sorry to hear about your friend. Cancer sucks. My mom had lung cancer and died at 62. She fought for a long time and it was hard to watch as the cancer took her. My mom never rode but I think she would have loved it.

      Thanks for the advice, if I end up getting the surgery I will make sure to heal properly...I'm sure my desire to get back on the bike will be a good motivator. Again, my condolences for your friend.

      Curt

      Delete