6.19.2014

Saddle-Up and Put a Little Sunshine in Your Life

The world we live in can be a scary place.  Open a newspaper, skim a newsfeed, or watch television for more than a few minutes and you’re bombarded with stories of just how terrible things really are…crime and conflict are rampant, death and decay are everywhere, no one is safe from evil doers.  It seems for every positive headline or story there are a hundred that are negative.  It makes you wonder how anyone ever makes it out of bed.  It’s just sad.  Surely, there’s a way out of this proverbial darkness?

It ain't a pony but it'll make you smile
I believe the answer lies in a story I heard as a teenager about two boys participating in a scientific study.  One boy was put into a room of beautiful, brand new toys and the other into a room full of horse manure.  The boy in the room full of toys immediately burst into tears, while the boy in the room full of manure jumped up and down excitedly and begged for a shovel.  When the researcher asked why he was crying, the boy in the room full of toys replied, “I know as soon as I touch something it’ll break and I’ll get in trouble.”  When the researcher ask the boy in the room full of manure why he wanted a shovel, the boy grinned from ear-to-ear and said, “With this much manure, there’s bound to be a pony in here somewhere and I’m going to find it!”

So, how do we carry on when the world around us is going to hell in a hand-basket?  The second boy had the answer.  We need to pull out our shovels and start shoveling.  We might not be able to control much but we can control our attitude and outlook.  We can choose to look for the pony.  I think most motorcycle riders do this instinctively.  As riders, we don’t dwell on the risks and dangers of riding. If we did, we’d likely be paralyzed by fear.  Instead, we focus on the positives…the overwhelming sense of freedom and sheer exhilaration we experience when tearing up the twisties or eating up the miles on a deserted stretch of highway.   We need to nurture this instinct and apply it to all aspects of our life.

Need an attitude adjustment?  Ride
Fortunately, we have an excellent tool to help us…our motorcycles.  Every time we roll back on the throttle we shovel away the darkness and negativity that surrounds us and we let a little sunshine in. When I’ve had a bad day, feel down, angry, or otherwise need an attitude adjustment I know I can saddle-up and ride.  Within minutes, my whole outlook has improved and all is good. Riding a motorcycle is excellent therapy.  It provides a new and brighter lens from which to view the world and gives us a fresh perspective on life.  It helps us find the pony buried in a room full of manure.


Will you look for the pony?  I sincerely hope that you LiveFree, Ride Hard, Be Happy and shovel, shovel, shovel.

4 comments:

  1. Great post Chris.

    I'm always looking for the pony. Years ago I made a conscience decision to be happy and sometimes it will drive people nuts when I am always seeing the silver lining in a situation and I'm perpetually perky, but life is too short to be grumpy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trobairitz,

    I think that's great. The world needs more people who see the glass as half full rather than half empty. Life is too short. Keep shoveling sister!

    ~Curt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris,

    Nice article! Gives me something to consider today.

    I think a major part of this is how we approach life. Are we worried? Or generally optimistic? I think we all sway between those two views, and ebb and flow. "What am I today?" is the better question.

    Today I will find the good.

    Smooches,
    Sash
    Sash - The Rude Biker Chick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, you're right we all have good and bad days. What's important is that we recognize this and work to have a positive attitude and outlook. I know that riding helps me stay positive.

      I am kinda down now though because both you and Trobairitz called me Chris :-( Seriously though, no worries...I'm sure with all the blogs you guys follow it's hard to keep up. :-)

      Cheers,
      Curt

      Delete