3.06.2014

Explore Texas - A Ride to the Hamilton Pool Preserve

One of the greatest things about riding a motorcycle is the opportunity to explore the world in a way that puts you in the middle of your surroundings.  Sure, you can reach a destination by car and then explore, but it just isn’t the same.  When you ride, more than half the fun is getting there.  My recent ride to the Hamilton Pool Preserve in Dripping Springs, Texas is a perfect example.

Hamilton Pool Preserve, Dripping Springs, TX

The morning was cool and the air crisp as I left my house to meet several other members of the Gruene Harley Owners Group Chapter at Gruene Harley-Davidson.  The weather forecast called for highs in the mid-70’s but temperatures were still in the mid-50’s at meet-up time.  I wore my leather chaps and jacket to keep warm.  I was comfortable and the short ride to the dealership was refreshing.  I could feel the stress of the week leave my body as I glided over the familiar stretch of road between my house and the dealership. I pulled into the parking lot just as the Road Captain started his safety briefing.

You could feel the excitement in the air as we lined-up and prepared to leave.  Everyone was ready to ride.  Our eighteen-bike/two-trike ensemble cautiously made its way into the traffic flow and settled into a nice staggered formation for the hour and fifteen minute ride to Dripping Springs.  Riding in a large group is special.  It fosters camaraderie and connectedness…and it's fun watching the reaction of both cagers and pedestrians as you ride by. You can see the sense of wonder, awe, and even envy on their faces.  Without a doubt, group riding can be fun, but I digress.

The Waterfall at Hamilton Pool
After turning north on Purgatory Road off FM 306, traffic was almost non-existent. I took several deep breaths to take in the fresh Hill Country air. It was turning out to be a beautiful day.  The two-lane road meandered past several ranches before terminating at the Devil’s Backbone (RR 32).  We headed east for a couple of miles and then made our way north on RR 12.  As we made our way to the terminus of RR 12 at RR 3238, I felt as though we had been transported back in time.  I could easily imagine the landscape that lay before us looked much the same as it did when the first Travis County settlers saw it in the early 1840s…rough and rugged, yet peaceful and full of promise. In that moment, I felt like a pioneer.

Five miles after turning northwest on RR 3238 we found the entrance to the Hamilton Pool Preserve.  I’m
not sure who was more surprised, the Park Ranger trying to get all of us into the small parking area; the group when we realized there was a $10 per vehicle entry fee; or me when I realized I had no cash and they didn’t take credit cards.  Fortunately, a friend spotted me the $10 and all was right with the universe again (thank you, Walter).   Once we were off the bikes we walked down the quarter-mile trail to the “pool”.   As we descended into the box canyon, I was impressed with the natural beauty of the area and then I saw it…the Hamilton Pool.

The whole scene was spectacular and so unexpected.  In front of me was a large pool of emerald green water fed by a 50-foot waterfall.  It was something you’d expect to see in Hawaii not Central Texas. We ventured into the collapsed cave behind the pool taking our time to soak in this natural wonder.  It was amazing.  As we hiked out of the canyon, I couldn’t help but think the experience was possible because I enjoyed exploring Texas on my motorcycle.  

I'm already looking forward to the next adventure.  Until then...Live Free. Ride Hard. Be Happy.
_________________________________

Learn more about the Hamilton Pool Preserve
Learn more about Gruene Harley-Davidson
Check out the Gruene HOG Chapter Facebook Page

11 comments:

  1. Curt,

    Your photos are great and the scenery spectacular!! I want to jump in so bad right now! But I'm sure it's too cold yet.

    On the next Road Pickle Texas is first on my list. I really thought we were heading there this year, but life got in the way. . .

    Smooches,
    Sash
    SashMouth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina, I think you're right about being too cold...water temp was about 50 degrees that day (according to the park info). I really hope you guys get a chance to visit Texas...it would be fun to do a ride with you. ~Curt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I'm gonna have to add this to my map of must-see places, and jump in for a swim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, I was just thinking this afternoon that a summer visit might be called for. I've heard folks sometime wait for hours to get in...guess you have to time it just right. It is a beautiful place. ~Curt

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful gem you found on your ride. Who knew that was hiding in Texas.

    I've never been to Texas but hope to one day.....you know, bucket lists and all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trobairitz, be careful...they say once you visit Texas, you never want to leave. ;-)

      Hope you get a chance to visit sometime. It would make a nice cross country ride.

      Cheers,
      Curt

      Delete
  5. after reading the post, i am also thinking visit the place. it i get some definitely i will visit this place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd enjoy it. It was pretty incredible. If you visit in the summer, you can swim there.

      Cheers,
      Curt

      Delete
  6. Nice photos! The thing about motorcycles is that they can get you just about everywhere - whether it's the Western Sahara or the Alaskan mountains. Can't beat them! Caverns are a great place to cool down a bit when it's the middle of a summer heatwave and to put the gear back on. Putting the gear on by the side of a road in Morocco is a killer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walter, Morocco sounds like an exciting trip. Now that would be something to see. :-)

      Cheers,
      Curt

      Delete
  7. Wow.. Very cool place ...... i like to visit there .. i am very exciting to go there...



    lapel pins

    ReplyDelete